Barbers Hill Bulletin

The Student News Site of Barbers Hill High School

Barbers Hill Bulletin

Barbers Hill Bulletin

Egg-citing Easter
Egg-citing Easter
April 5, 2024
A TRIP TO REMEMBER
A TRIP TO REMEMBER
March 21, 2024
Love on the Hill
Love on the Hill
February 14, 2024
Eagles Ice Cream
Eagle's Ice Cream
February 14, 2024

Terrifyingly Terrific Treats

The Best Eats for the Halloween Season
Jayden Moss

It is that time of year! The orange hue is seizing the stores with Halloween decor paired with the  fall aesthetic as the fall season has officially begun. With the wind howling and leaves slowly but surely changing its colors, Halloween is quickly approaching, making everyone rush to obtain all the materials necessary to be prepared for the season.

However, the most important component of the season above the decorations and costumes is the candy.

On Halloween night, the candy is what brings pure joy into children’s faces when they knock upon multiple houses and say the classic “trick or treat” phrase. 

With Halloween just around the corner, it is only right to review the greatest attribute of the season!

To begin, according to research by journalist Jena Warburton from street.com,  Reese’s Peanut Butter cups are the country’s most popular Halloween candy due to its near perfect ratio of peanut butter to chocolate. 

“I like Reese’s Peanut Butter cups because of the contrast in flavor paired with the saltiness of the peanut butter and the sweetness of the chocolate,” junior Valerie Barajas said.  “Its richness of texture allows this to be a perfect candy!”

Following along the chocolate realm, a popular Halloween choice is also the classic Snickers bar, which many enjoy due to its unique texture.

“My favorite candy is Snickers because of the chocolate flavor and the variety of textures in it,” junior Sadie Edgar said.

However, others enjoy the taste of pure chocolate candies for their simplicity.

“My favorite candy is Hershey’s because of the large amount of chocolate it has,” junior Colton Rife said. “And because of the abundance you get them from Halloween candy.”

Chocolate is often a prominent favorite among all during this Halloween season as it captures the essence of the sweet delight and the scary thrill that the Halloween holiday brings. 

According to research from journalist Lisa Bone from choc affair.com, studies have shown that there are multiple components within chocolate that can give individuals that feeling of happiness and satisfaction, so it makes sense that chocolate is often a common pick in people’s favorite candy list!

Outside of chocolate, there are a variety of other Halloween delicacies that trick-or-treaters can indulge in. Sour Patch Kids have also been a favorite candy during the season too due to its intertwined sour and sweet flavor.

“My favorite candy is watermelon Sour Patch kids,” junior Trinity Atkinson said, “because once you work your way through the sour layer, you are blessed with a sweet summer watermelon!” 

Not only does candy make one happy, but it has the potential to make one feel as if they are transported into another season! This makes one essentially appreciate the flavor a simple candy possesses as it has the remarkable power to stir one’s emotions.

However, the flavor of a candy too can influence a common misconception one has. Candy Corn is a Halloween candy classic, but is often not a favorite nowadays.  According to research, journalist Mike Snider from USA today.com,  has found that candy corn is just intensely sweet-tasting, which can disgust trick-or-treaters with the overwhelming flavor of sugar it contains. To most, eating candy corn is much like eating spoonfuls of honey or sugar.

But there are few individuals out there that actually enjoy this Halloween classic.

“My favorite candy during the Halloween season is candy corn. Although it is controversial, I love the flavor, and its sweetness,” junior Victoria Novak said. “I feel like it would not be Halloween without candy corn!”

Tootsie Rolls are often a candy also very controversial as some may enjoy its sweet chewy flavor while some may really dislike it for the texture itself. 

“I like orange fruit chews because it is a Tootsie Roll but citrus,” sophomore Luke Brown said. “which is a flavor I enjoy more than chocolate.”

The overall flavor of a treat is what ultimately influences one’s opinion of the treat itself. Essentially everyone obtains diverse opinions when it comes to what they like, especially candy considering not everyone in this world has a sweet tooth! 

Regardless, candy will continue to remain a staple to the Halloween season as it  all ultimately embodies the sweet frightful spirit of Halloween!

This poll has ended.

What's your favorite chocolate Halloween candy?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.