Barbers Hill Bulletin

The Student News Site of Barbers Hill High School

Barbers Hill Bulletin

Barbers Hill Bulletin

Egg-citing Easter
Egg-citing Easter
April 5, 2024
A TRIP TO REMEMBER
A TRIP TO REMEMBER
March 21, 2024
Ms. Jones Crochet Business
Ms. Jones' Crochet Business
February 22, 2024
Love on the Hill
Love on the Hill
February 14, 2024
Eagles Ice Cream
Eagle's Ice Cream
February 14, 2024

District Swim Meet

The stinging smell of chlorine. The rhythmic sound of cold water crashing against the poolside. The sight of swimmers adorned in swim caps and goggles. All of these sensations and more converged at our school’s district swim meet on Jan. 23 at Sterling High School! 

At the competition, five schools from the area dived head first in a series of swim-related events for a chance to win the coveted title of District Champion. A thrilling aquatic performance unfolded throughout the high-stakes competition as the swimmers slashed through the water, creating a day of intense and exciting fun for everyone.

However, for most swimmers, the competition begins long before the meet even begins.

“Most days, we all drive over to Eagle Pointe to practice,” junior Courtney Schubert said.  “There, we usually stay until four and run through all our drills in the water.”

The swimmers’ unwavering dedication to practicing every day at Eagle Pointe not only showcases their discipline but also highlights how important constant training is to improve their talents. 

Although these training sessions are rigorous, it doesn’t mean the team doesn’t enjoy them.

“I love practicing with my teammates,” junior Erin Nunez said. “We always have so much fun spending the day together at the pool and swimming together.”

At the competition, there was a wide selection of races the swimmers could choose from.

“There are 24 competitions you can choose to participate in,” Nunez said. “They can range from the 100m breaststroke to the 200m freestyle.”

There was a buzz of nervous energy in the air as the swimmers prepared for their individual events. Excitement and anticipation were all around as participants got ready to show off their skills and compete for the District Championship. With friends and family supporting the game, the atmosphere was electrifying.

“I always get a rush of adrenaline right before I jump into the water. My heart starts to race and I begin to feel nervous,” Nunez said.  “But whenever the buzzer rings, all those feelings float away and all I can think about is my performance”

After the competition, the weary swimmers huddled around, their damp hair clinging to their foreheads. Despite their exhaustion, the happiness of the swimmers was uncontainable. 

“I think we all did great,” Schubert said. “We finally got to prove ourselves and show how all our hard work paid off. The meet was our chance to perform both as a team and as individuals.”

As a result of their strong discipline and deep commitment, it was no wonder that the girl’s team secured the title of District Champions and that the boys earned district Runner-Up. However, the meet was not just about winning and losing; it was a testament to the swimmers’ collective bonding and emotional highs throughout their time on the team.

View Comments (1)