Barbers Hill Bulletin

The Student News Site of Barbers Hill High School

Barbers Hill Bulletin

Barbers Hill Bulletin

Egg-citing Easter
Egg-citing Easter
April 5, 2024
A TRIP TO REMEMBER
A TRIP TO REMEMBER
March 21, 2024
Ms. Jones Crochet Business
Ms. Jones' Crochet Business
February 22, 2024
Love on the Hill
Love on the Hill
February 14, 2024
Eagles Ice Cream
Eagle's Ice Cream
February 14, 2024

Love on the Hill

Jayden Moss

The pink and red hues, the bunches of flower bouquets, the cute fluffy stuffed animals and of course, the iconic heart shaped chocolate boxes stocked at our local HEB store only indicate one thing: Valentine’s day is just around the corner!

With the holiday approaching in a matter of days, people are making their plans. Whether it is to go out with their special other, with friends, or even just cozy up at home on their own, plans are being made, and gifts are being bought to express the love for those that make one happy and genuinely loved. 

Although often associated with romantic love, Valentines’ day is also a day to cherish those close friendships we possess in life. Platonic Love is real too!

Proven in an article written by journalists from the midwest health center, the group provides an alternative to the usual Valentines holiday, noting how “Galentine’s and Palentine’s Day are like Valentine’s Day, except instead of celebrating love with your significant other, you spend the day enjoying and appreciating the bond you have with your closest and best friends.”   

I think we can all agree that we don’t give our friends enough credit for everything they do, so this year, why not flip the script and make the most of every friendship you have? That is completely okay to do!

Our Student Council here at Barbers Hill High School has been selling candy that students had the opportunity to send to a special someone and/or friends included! So it is safe to say that there has been some degree of effort put into the holiday at the hill.

However, romantic love still seems to still dominate the stage of this sweet holiday, which essentially overshadows the platonic love we all can show to fellow peers.

We have asked some fellow students how they show their love and appreciation to their friends as friendships are a valuable aspect that ought to help us survive our High School years, as they ultimately prevent us from feeling alone and overwhelmed amidst school work, gossip, and different home lives!

To start with, a simple expression of appreciation can be shown through simply supporting the friends one has.

“I usually try to support them in any elective or outside of school event they are in when I can to show my support and appreciation for them,”junior Tyler Viverette said. However, expressing your appreciation to your friends can also come through small actions, ranging from quality time with friends to the words you say as well.

“I show appreciation to my friends by listening to them, spending time with them, and letting them know how much they mean to me,” Junior Sadie Edgar said.

Junior Maddie Collins reinforces the importance of words of affirmation as she finds it crucial to cherishing her friendships, which essentially embraces her Galentines preference!  “I would say I show my appreciation through gift giving and words of affirmation. I love to give my girls sweet compliments and tell them how much they mean to me! I will always be a gals girl.”

Senior Emily Cardenas also agrees with this statement, as she states, “Just showing my kindness and loving spirit no matter what, with that being through my actions, compliments, and gifts! I love expressing my love and gratitude in the form of words!”

But she also introduces a new and yet old school concept that possesses so much value as it can capture appreciation and any emotion for a lifetime. “I love writing letters and sweet messages too,” said Senior Emily Cardenas.

With the emergence of technology and easy access to social media and text nowadays, simply sitting down to write has become overlooked and often people have missed the value and vast significance words on paper can have. One must acknowledge that custom though, as writing a simple message to your friends to let them know how much you appreciate them can make their day or week so much better amidst the chaotic high school life. Just how sending a text can take a matter of seconds, so can writing to a friend a simple sentence of “I appreciate you” or anything short and sweet.

Extending on the subject of the importance of words, not just exchanging words but also simply listening to a friend can let them know how much they are appreciated and valued.

“I listen to my friends when they need to talk and I offer solutions. I offer to help anytime they need something as well,” Junior Diego Gutierrez said. 

At times offering a simple hand to help them out or advice can proclaim just how much a friend is appreciated by you. Being there for a friend ought to only strengthen a friendship and make it be worthwhile in the long run in life. 

To elaborate on this matter, Junior Joseph Baumgarner makes a good point in regards to the importance of listening to a friend. “Thoroughly listening to my friends has to be my favorite way to show my appreciation and love for them because it is no longer a superficial setting at that point, whether we’re goofing off or having heart-to-heart, it’s my number one way to show my appreciation for them.”

Overall, essentially, it comes down to personal preference how one chooses to perceive and celebrate the sweet Valentines Day holiday. But one thing that ought to never be forgotten is that during this holiday season, it is about much more than just appreciating your special other, but your friends as well as they too require a love and care that may be just as important in any relationship in life as it allows one to not endure the worlds hardships alone. It is important to always remember to appreciate those friends we hold dear to our hearts because at the end of the day, with shared laughs and fun memories, those are the ones that end up leaving a lasting imprint in our hearts.